ACFL Div 2 – Mac Dáibhéid 0-11 Naomh Mhuire (Ros Earcain) 1-8

A goal deep into injury time for Naomh Mhuire was enough to give them a share of the spoils in this senior football encounter last Sunday.

Two points from Ceavy Slane in the opening seven minutes gave us a good foothold in the game but Seamus Ellis got Naomh Mhuire off the mark with a well-engineered point following a good passage of play, before Padraig McParland restored our two-point advantage. Making good use of the breeze, Naomh Mhuire struck back with three points in a row (Shane Hasson 0-1 and Eamon McNeill 0-2), which included a point from a mark and a free from around 40 metres. Goalkeeper, Aaron Slane levelled, when he foraged forward to take possession of the ball and kicked an excellent point. Ryan Lynch edged Naomh Mhuire in front again in the 31st minute but a point from a Gerard Slane free  on the half time whistle left the sides level at the break 0-5 to 0-5.

A break out of defence led to the first score of the second half with Jack Scally on target as he finished with a point from 35 metres. Naomh Mhuire replied with a point from a free (Eamon McNeill) before Anto McGrattan raced goal wards and from a tight angle fisted the ball over the bar. Padraig McParland kept the scoreboard ticking with a nice individually worked point to extend our lead to two. Both teams then benefited from points from frees with Naomh Mhuire kicking two (Shane Hasson and Ryan Lynch) and Aaron Slane on target again to retain a slender advantage. Gerard Slane extended the lead to two with a free from 21 metres and when Chris Rafferty also pointed a free from the right side, we held a goal cushion heading into injury time. One final push deep into injury time saw Naomh Mhuire turn over possession and race goal wards and somehow the ball was worked through a packed defence to Conor Hasson who finished to the back of the net. This was to be the final action of the game and the referee brought the game to conclusion with the sides tied 0-11 to 1-8.

Click here for photos of the game.

This entry was posted in Senior Football. Bookmark the permalink.