ACFL Div 2 – Mac Dáibhéid 2-7 Naomh Séamas 1-10

A late Conor Toner was enough to maintain the senior footballers undefeated record as they salvaged a draw at home to Naomh Séamas.

Naomh Séamas were off the mark straight from the throw in as they gained possession and worked a fine point. Goalkeeper Aaron Slane brought the sides level, when he took a quick free, got the return pass and kicked between the posts. Three consecutive Naomh Séamas points gave them a good advantage at the midway stage of the half, before Gerard Slane pointed from a 13 metre free in front of the goal. Naomh Séamas restored their goal lead before a high ball was fed into the edge of the square, Anthony Rowntree gained possession and drove an unstoppable shot past the helpless Naomh Séamas keeper to level the game. The Naomh Séamas response was positive as they tagged on a further two points but the final score of the half came from Gerard Slane to leave us trailing by the minimum at the break, 1-3 to 0-7.

The second half was just as cagey and tight with scores difficult to come by. Naomh Séamas kicked the first point of the second half but we replied with an outstanding point from CJ Sullivan, following a mazy solo run from deep inside his own half. A Marcas Toner point restored parity. Deaglan Mooney then played a cross field pass to the unmarked Gerard Slane who took his time and kicked a nice point to put us in the lead.

The lead was short lived as Naomh Séamas broke through our crowded defence and finished to the net. They quickly tagged on a point to take a goal lead but we were soon back on level terms with a well worked goal. A point from a free 40 metres out restored Naomh Séamas advantage with three minutes left on the clock. We pushed to get back on terms but Naomh Séamas held steadfast and looked to be holding on for the win, until Conor Toner took possession from a quick free, side-stepped around two Naomh Séamas defenders and kicked high between the posts for the final score of the game and a draw 2-7 to 1-10.

Click here for photos of the game.

This entry was posted in Senior Football. Bookmark the permalink.