ACFL Div 2 – Naomh Treasa 0-12 Mac Dáibhéid 1-10

The senior footballers had to come from behind with a last gasp point securing the spoils in this league encounter away to Naomh Treasa.

We opened brightly with a brace of points from CJ Sullivan but Naomh Treasa responded with three consecutive points to lead by the minimum margin after 16 minutes. We levelled after a quick break out of defence, with Anto McGrattan feeding the ball to Ceavy Slane who duly kicked between the posts. He quickly added a further two points, the first following a good period of possession and the second a long range effort to give us a two-point advantage after 24 minutes. A high ball into the edge of our square was fisted over the bar to reduce our advantage but Aaron Slane kept the scoreboard ticking with a long range pointed free. We extended our lead further when Anto McGrattan was fouled in the box and the referee awarded a penalty. Goalkeeper, Aaron Slane stepped up and calmly slotted the ball to the back of the net. The final point of the half came from Naomh Treasa to leave us four in front 0-5 to 1-6.

Naomh Treasa came out fully rejuvenated in the second half reducing the deficit to a single point with three consecutive points before Deaglan Mooney kicked our first score of the second half with a point from a free out on the right side of the pitch. The referee then brandished a black card and Naomh Treasa used their numerical advantage, adding four points to lead by two going into the last five minutes. We dug deep with further points from Anto McGrattan and Aaron Slane and as we went into injury time, it appeared the match was heading for a draw. The referee awarded us a long range free and as everyone backed away expecting us to work the ball short; Ceavy Slane launched the ball from 65 metres towards the Naomh Treasa goal. Everyone rushed to try to get under the flight of the ball in a bid to gain possession; it bounced in the square and somehow bypassed everyone and went over the bar to put us in front, the final action of the game.

Click here for photos of the game.

This entry was posted in Senior Football. Bookmark the permalink.