ACHL Div 3 – Mac Dáibhéid 0-16 Lamh Dhearg 2-12

This was definitely a game that got away from us as we controlled it for long periods and should have put to bed, but Lamh Dhearg dug deep, kept in touch and a somewhat fortunate goal at the death was enough to secure them the points.

From the throw-in we immediately registered on the scoreboard with a fine point from Colm McKee. Lamh Dhearg responded with a brace of points, one from a free. A pin point puck out from Joe McCaffrey found Stephen McGivern who side stepped his marker and levelled the game with an excellent finish. Two long range points and a close in point from a free from Chris Gallagher put us in front. Marcas Toner went on a mazy run and fired the sliotar over the bar before Stephen McGivern and Chris Gallagher (0-2) added to our tally, giving us a deserved seven point advantage. A momentary lapse in concentration let Lamh Dhearg in for a goal, but Jamie McNally drilled over a nice point to steady things. Lamh Dhearg reduced the deficit with two further points but we finished the half strongly with Marcas Toner and Canice Mooney pointing to give us the lead 0-13 to 1-4 at the break.

A Chris Gallagher pointed free on the restart left double scores between the sides but Lamh Dhearg then enjoyed their best spell of the game as they reduced the deficit to a goal. We then gained the numerical advantage as Lamh Dhearg lost a man and points from Chris Gallagher, one free and the other from a 65 increased our lead. However, we too then fell foul off ill-discipline and were reduced to 14 men. This inspired Lamh Dhearg as three unanswered points put them back within striking distance and when they were awarded a penalty they had the opportunity to take the lead.

The resultant penalty was well saved by goalkeeper, Joe McCaffrey, as was the subsequent follow up , however as we tried to clear our lines the sliotar bounced up, flicked of the side of the defenders helmet and into the net for a somewhat fortunate goal. Another Lamh Dhearg point left two between the sides and in the dying seconds the sliotar was played into the edge of the square, Marcus Toner did well to get possession and looked as if he would get a shot of goal wards but the sliotar spilled and the chance was gone.

Final score 0-16 to 2-12.

Click here for photos of the game.

This entry was posted in Senior Hurling. Bookmark the permalink.