Junior B Hurling Championship – Davitts 1-13 St Agnes 2-8

Once again, there was only the puck of a ball between both teams in yet another exciting championship encounter at St Teresa’s while thunder and lightning and a torrential downpour just before throw in didn’t deter either team in their quest to progress to the final.

Playing direct hurling straight from the throw in, we created an immediate goal scoring opportunity but the shot was saved and the St Agnes keeper duly cleared his line, however the industrious Rory McEvoy opened the scoring with a well taken point. A St Agnes free levelled scores before Rory again fired over, followed by points from Chris Gallagher and Alan Rainey to extend our lead.  We were in control of the game and despite two well taken pointed 65s from St Agnes, points from Stephen McGivern (0-3), and Chris Gallagher saw us build up a five point cushion. St Agnes clung on adding two points before a scrappy goal brought them level and on the stroke of half time another point turned the game in their favour as they led by the minimum on a score of 0-8 to 1-6.

We levelled the game on the restart when Stephen McGivern fired over, and with both teams then exchanging a series of frees two from Stephen McGivern and one from Chris Gallagher we moved into a point advantage. A great save from Sean Smith ensured we retained our lead before a long puck out deep into the St Agnes half saw Chris Gallagher and Canice Mooney involved and as the pass went to Thomas Toland he fired goal wards. The St Agnes keeper made the save but Thomas followed up and the sliotar was forced to the back of the net, four in front. Stephen McGivern tagged on a pointed free and with time almost up it looked as if we had done enough to secure a final spot. However, there was still more drama to unfold and when the Aggies found the net there was two between the teams, and as we moved into injury time they pressed for a winning goal. Despite creating one final goal opportunity Gearoid Cosgrove got in the way to deflect the ball to safety and the referee blew the final whistle.

We now progress to the final, which is scheduled for this Sunday against Ballymena at Hightown with a 3pm throw in.

Click here for photos of the game.

This entry was posted in Senior Hurling. Bookmark the permalink.