ACHL Div 3 – Na Magha 3-16 Mac Dáibhéid 2-15

The senior hurlers put in a spirited performance away to Na Magha last Saturday, going down by 4 points in a very entertaining encounter in their first game of the 2021 Division 3 league campaign.

Na Magha stamped their authority on the game early on and raced into a three point lead. Anthony Rowntree reduced the deficit with a well taken point on his left side, but Na Magha upped the tempo and a nice goal, worked in from the left side line was followed by two further points. Senior debutant, Marcus Toner then scored his first point of the day as he side stepped his man and fired over the bar from distance. We struggled to get a foothold in the game and when the referee showed a red card it was backs to the wall. Na Magha were relentless as they tagged on points to move further ahead 1-11 to 0-2. A long ball down the wing was then fielded by Anthony Rowntree who powered past his man and finished with an unstoppable strike to the net to give us some hope that we could get back into the game. Great work in defence from another senior debutant Anton McLaughlin led to another point, as he played a super pass to Colm McKee who duly found Marcus Toner who split the posts for his second point of the game. Na Magha responded with a brace of points and a Stephen McGivern pointed free on the stroke of half time left us trailing 1-13 to 1-4.

We raised our game on the restart showing more grit and determination and were immediately rewarded when Stephen McGivern slotted over two pointed frees, one from within his own half and this galvanised us all over the pitch. Nice play from Caoimhin Heaney resulted in a Marcus Toner point and two points from Stephen McGivern and another from Marcus Toner reduced the deficit to a goal and we were well in the game and seemingly in control. However, Na Magha stopped us in our tracks with two quick goals in succession but our heads didn’t drop as we displayed a never die attitude, fighting for every ball and with a will to get back into the game. Both teams traded point for point with Marcus Toner (0-2) and Stephen McGivern adding to their tallies to see us trail 3-16 to 1-13 going into the last 10 minutes. We were unfortunate to have a goal from a free disallowed when the referee ruled that it had been taken too quick and ordered a retake. We continued to push to the final whistle and a great puck out from Joe McCaffrey found Don Whelan and from 65 yards out he fired over the bar. Marcus Toner struck his sixth point of the day, Anthony Rowntree added a minor and Stephen McGivern dispatched a penalty past the keeper to leave Na Magha the winners on a final score 3-16 to 2-15.

Click here for photos of the game.

Next up is St Teresa’s on Wednesday night and hopefully we can build on the solid performance we showed against Na Magha.

Scorers: Stephen McGivern 1-6, Marcus Toner 0-6, Anthony Rowntree 1-2, Don Whelan 0-1.

This entry was posted in Senior Hurling. Bookmark the permalink.